Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reflecting on the Research Project Experience

During the process of doing the research project, I encountered some problems. As my group members’ timetables are very different, we did not have many free slots to meet up. Hence, we could not meet up more often and most of our discussion was done online. We often used email to update one another on things added into our report and hence, the response and feedback were not immediate. Moreover, as we would get individual feedback for a particular email sent out, more time would have to be spent on consolidating all the different changes. Also, more time was wasted on waiting for replies and hence, I feel that face to face communication would have been a more effective channel of communication.

As some of the deadlines for the report drafts and my mid-term tests coincided, I faced some difficulties coping with studying for my tests, finding resources and doing the research report. It made me realise that I need to manage my time properly and prioritise my work in order not to bring any inconvenience to my group members.

Furthermore, during the process of research, we had to find articles to support what we intended to write in the report. However, we faced some difficulties looking for enough articles as those we found were rather similar. Hence, we had to use quite a lot of time to source for a variety of articles.

Overall, my group faced some problems during the process of doing our research project. However, it was only through these problems that I learnt how I could improve on our communication methods and skills.

5 comments:

제니 said...

I agree with you that a lot of time is spent on waiting for email replies. My group also used emails to update each other on the project. So, to prevent the situation where we have to wait very long for a reply, we set a time limit before class is dismissed. Otherwise, we SMS each other to inform each other on our progress.

Similarly, my group also faced some problems when finding articles to do our literature review due to the nature of our research topic. However, we managed to find the relevant articles after all of us did a lot of research.

May said...

I agree with you that we had the same difficulty with you in our literature review. Due to the topic nauture and lacking of resear infomaion make our literature to spend a lot of time.
Moreover, we had some difficulties in meeting with group members. We had to send email or sms for group discussion. For my opinion, meeting face to face communication will be more effective.

靥靥Caroline said...

I understand the difficulties that your group faced in this project, epecially the first one that you mentioned. Sometimes it is hard to get things done by online discussion. To solve a problem, we have to exchange ideas face to face. what our group did to avoid this problem was to meet up in cateen during lunch time or class breaks. It did not cost too much time for the discussion.

NangAye said...

I feel the same way as what you think in the point of time management. Time management is very important for students like us expecially when we have tests and have many assignments and projects deadlines due. We should know how to prioritise the works properly in order to finish all the works in time with good quality. The mid term recess week was really a busy week for us as we had to conduct the survey questions and finish all the research works during this week. However, through these problems,we all learnt many new skills and finished our project in time.

grace kim said...

Thanks Hui Zhen, for your post. Am glad that through the problems faced doing the project you have learned the importance of time management as well as how to improve your communication skills.